Wednesday, November 23, 2005

I am in France this week and my wife asked me how many countries use Euro? I was stumped by that question. I knew that 11 of the 12 countries in the EU were going to start using the Euro in 1999 or 2000. But didn’t know how many more countries had adopted it since then. So, I decided to use five search engines and see which one gave the best result. The search words were: How many countries use Euro. The criterion was simple: I will click the first (second if the extracted text was interesting) result and see which one came close.

Yahoo was by far the best of the six search engines: Google, Yahoo, Clusty, Askjeeves, A9 and Live.

Yahoo’s first result was atrocious. It gave a link to a site that gave currency exchange rates.

AskJeeves was probably a distant second with a link to the Euro’s main Website.

Microsoft’s Live came in third with a link to Wikipedia

Clusty was fourth with a link to Wikipedia (the link to wiki was third while in Live it was first).

Google was fifth with the first link giving incorrect information that 12 countries use the Euro.

A9, was last.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home